Your wedding vision extends beyond your wedding dress! The girls standing beside you will help bring your entire look together. But where do you begin?
1. It’s best to start with color. Their dresses should coordinate with your overall wedding vision and shouldn’t clash next to your dress. Here is a general guideline by season- warm pastels for spring, a pop of color for summer, deeper shades for fall, and rich, bold hues for winter. Keep in mind, lighter colors can wash out paler skin tones, so make sure to find a color that will look great on all of your girls!
2. Next is length. Long dresses usually set a more formal tone, while short ones a more casual one. If your wedding is in the summer but you want long dresses, try to find a light fabric like mesh or chiffon. If your wedding is in the winter, heavier fabrics like silk and satin will keep your girls warmer- (add a cute wrap or fur coat for winter weddings!)
3. Then, decide if you want a uniform look or a mismatched one. Try and get all of your girls to shop together so you can see the same dress on everyone before deciding. If you want them all in the same dress, your decision is pretty straightforward. But sometimes the same dress doesn't look good on all body types. We love the new trend of mismatching styles so everyone can wear something their comfortable in!
If you like the mismatched look, there are several ways you can go about it. Brides are often scared that choosing to mismatch their girls dresses won't end up looking cohesive, To make sure it does, it's best to choose at least one common feature, such as length, fabric, texture, or silhouette. It's also important to remember, if you're choosing different shades of the same color, make sure the colors aren't too similar because it can look like you tried to match the colors, but failed. Here are a few ways you can create an effortlessly mismatched looked...
- Same color, Different styles
- Same style, Different colors
- Different color, Different style
- Different colors in ombre order
- Two colors in every-other order
- Same style or color for all BMs, but MOH in different style or color
4. Special features are super cute, but keep in mind the practicality of these dresses. For example, backless dresses are in and totally gorgeous! But, it may pose a problem for a bustier girl who would have to wear a backless bra.
5. Dresses that will need to be order in PLUS or EXTRA LENGTH can take longer to come in. Start looking about 6 months before your wedding to ensure all your girls can not only get their dress in time for your wedding, but also have time to get their dress altered if needed. Most dresses are made for girls who are 5'8, so if you have girls shorter than this they will need a hem, which can take 4 to 6 weeks.
I hope these help make your shopping experience less stressful and more fun!
Click Here for Tips and Tricks When Shopping For Your Wedding Dress!